One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In construction or preparation.‘also on the stocks is a bill to bring about tax relief for these businesses’
- ‘None of the Tablet PCs on the stocks fall into that category, not even the Crusoe prototype, which claims dismal endurance of four hours.’
- ‘Reading from a forthcoming novel, one of several he has on the stocks, he recalled the terrible things writers must endure in the name of research.’
- ‘Next on the stocks is Admiral Nelson's Victory.’
- ‘And while it is well-known the Queen Mother's funeral arrangements have been in place almost 20 years ago, it is less well-understood that many newspapers have had special supplements on the stocks for several years.’
- ‘There is not too much substantive legislation on the stocks that has lasted for that period of time.’
- ‘Soon, though, he had so many screenplays on the stocks he employed a ghost-writer to help him out.’
- ‘But he is now fighting back, with a number of exciting new projects on the stocks, and the managing director has high hopes for the future.’
- ‘His seal of approval was the final hurdle for a deal that has been on the stocks for several years.’
- ‘Its owners had only briefly, when it was still on the stocks and in very small print, ever advertised it as such, and similar claims were made at the same time for other ships.’
- ‘Does this mean that there's a recipe book on the stocks?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.