One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
On the side of what is right.‘we're not in the business of polluting the environment, we're on the side of the angels’
- ‘But it would be a complete mistake to think that liberals in general, and I in particular, are moved by such motives, or that we need to be reminded that America has more often stood on the side of the angels.’
- ‘The police are also on the side of the angels, certainly according to a spokeswoman: ‘[People] have a legitimate right to be protesters and we will uphold their democratic right to protest.’’
- ‘If you prefer a version of history where Scots are on the side of the angels, the British Museum argues that Elgin quite legally rescued the sculptures, prevented their destruction, and saw that they were preserved for posterity.’
- ‘It did remind me of the Bond films, not least because Sean Connery was reprising his ‘superman’ role, even if this time he wasn't on the side of the angels.’
- ‘We had the strongest military in the world, we had just won a ‘great’ war and we had clearly been on the side of the angels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.