One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1On a long journey or series of journeys, especially as part of one's job as a sales representative or a performer.‘she has accompanied Michael Jackson on the road’
on tour, touring, travelling, doing the rounds, on the circuitView synonyms
- ‘Shortly afterwards, the group does break with Towle, who's talking about accompanying them on the road.’
- ‘Accompanying them on the road are a cavalcade of young, willing, and available groupies, including the radiant, enigmatic Penny Lane.’
- ‘His daughter-in-law, Janet, is one of eight sales representatives who are on the road daily.’
- ‘I've been on the road recently, traveling mostly by car to visit some customers here in the New York area.’
- ‘Despite a perfect marriage to the perfect lady, he spent his time on the road as a travelling salesman, making friends and accepting every opportunity presented to him.’
- ‘Because of the popularity of their comedy show, they took the show on the road for a tour lasting six years.’
- ‘In the end, Forney takes his show on the road, performing live with his son at a heartland music festival to a bewildered audience of twelve.’
- ‘What keeps you on the road are the performances.’
- ‘Now the group send it on the road once more, touring to Australia, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, Zurich and San Francisco.’
- ‘He brought to his performances the residual skills developed from years on the road, performing in front of live audiences.’
- 1.1 (of a person) without a permanent home and moving from place to place.‘he was trying to survive on the road and failing’
- ‘He had moved out of the house he shared with his wife, Sharon, and was on the road with a teenage junkie named Dawn.’
2(of a car) in use; able to be driven.‘I've been trying to get my old MG Tourer back on the road’
- 2.1often on-the-road (of or with reference to the price of a motor vehicle) including the cost of licence plates, tax, etc., so the vehicle is fully ready for use on public roads.‘we found on-the-road prices from £5,780 to £6,151’
- 2.1often on-the-road (of or with reference to the price of a motor vehicle) including the cost of licence plates, tax, etc., so the vehicle is fully ready for use on public roads.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.