One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of payment) without delay.‘not paying on the nail could be extremely expensive’
immediately, at once, without delay, straight away, right away, promptly, on the spot, directly, now, this minuteView synonyms
- ‘Pretty much everyone who couldn't afford to put cash on the barrelhead for a place at the banquet.’
- ‘The other is to fight fire with fire and put our own cash on the barrelhead.’
- ‘The DCI chuckled: ‘You probably don't know that he bought that cottage cash on the nail.’’
- ‘After considerable persuasion and $50 cash on the barrelhead, O'Shea went home with the kitten, who was about 10 weeks old by then.’
- ‘Why denigrate cash on the nail as a motive for art?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.