One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1While working; at work.‘learning on the job should be part of studying’‘my first day on the job’
- ‘CNN reports on a Coca Cola employee who was allegedly fired for drinking Pepsi while on the job.’
- ‘One of the requirements in the programmes is that employees wear earmuffs on the job.’
- ‘Pixo gives their new employees a vacation in Hawaii for their first week on the job.’
- ‘Six years into its tenure, this is a government that gives the impression of learning on the job.’
- ‘Factories often force employees to work overtime or stay on the job for weeks without a day off.’
- ‘The only way to increase the margins of auditing is to send the most junior people on the job and wrap it up quick.’
- ‘We weren't the most dedicated employees, so we did a bit of learning on the job.’
- ‘Wong said every government employee should stay on the job and serve the public.’
- ‘Eichmann was adept at learning practical skills on the job, under the tutelage of seniors he respected.’
- ‘William Burke was a New York firefighter who died on the job at the World Trade Center.’
- 1.1British informal Engaged in sexual intercourse.
- ‘Anyway, a young couple seems to have webcammed themselves on the job - deliberately or not.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.