One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Instantly; immediately.‘he was thrown into the water, and on the instant the sea grew calm’
immediately, at once, straight away, right away, instantaneously, suddenly, abruptly, all of a sudden, at a stroke, forthwith, then and there, there and then, here and now, that minute, this minute, that very minute, this very minute, that instant, this instantView synonyms
- ‘But, on the instant, came the sweep and flash of Jonathan's great knife.’
- ‘She handed it to him on the instant and he drank without halt while the bowl seemed to keep itself replenished.’
- ‘He was thrown into the water, and on the instant the sea grew calm.’
- ‘The laughter ceased on the instant, and fury took its place.’
- ‘I'm careful about how I report things on the instant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.