One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Instantly; immediately.‘he was thrown into the water, and on the instant the sea grew calm’
immediately, instantly, at once, straight away, right away, instantaneously, suddenly, abruptly, all of a sudden, at a stroke, forthwith, then and there, there and then, here and now, that minute, this minute, that very minute, this very minute, that instant, this instantView synonyms
- ‘The laughter ceased on the instant, and fury took its place.’
- ‘He was thrown into the water, and on the instant the sea grew calm.’
- ‘I'm careful about how I report things on the instant.’
- ‘But, on the instant, came the sweep and flash of Jonathan's great knife.’
- ‘She handed it to him on the instant and he drank without halt while the bowl seemed to keep itself replenished.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.