One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1While in motion or progress.‘producers were able to schedule the day's Olympic coverage on the fly’
- ‘Are your adventures carefully planned out in several notebooks, or done on the fly?’
- ‘I have numerous ways that I catch and categorize information on the fly.’
- ‘This is not so much a carelessly structured story as a story made up on the fly.’
- ‘It is a fantastic note-taking application, which will really aid those constantly collecting data on the fly.’
- ‘I ask you: who's speaking his heart, and who's crafting a response on the fly trying to cover all bases?’
- ‘Workers must be able to access and manage their communications on the fly, and at a moment's notice from anywhere in the world.’
- ‘The rap against him is he makes mistakes in coverage and has trouble adjusting on the fly.’
- ‘She's able to do a translation on the fly and read the email to you in seamless English.’
- ‘Mail was picked up on the fly using a catch arm on the side of the car swung out by a Railway Mail Clerk who at the same time kicked off a sack of mail for that place.’
- 1.1Computing During the running of a computer program without interrupting the run.
- ‘Most of the pages are generated on the fly through a database query.’
- ‘This will provide instant access to company data in documents created on screen on the fly.’
- ‘The tests even simulate how networks make bandwidth and other changes on the fly.’
- ‘Graphical charts can be generated on the fly from this data or generated as static pages at scheduled intervals.’
- ‘Volumes of storage can be allocated to application servers on the fly, without interrupting operation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.