One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1On level ground as opposed to uphill.‘the car wouldn't go uphill or overtake on the flat’
- ‘On the vet's advice, for two months we walked her on the flat and short distances only to see if it was a sprain that would heal and it hasn't.’
- ‘Tackling a slight incline soon has you dropping out of fifth but on the flat the extra ratio reduces noise levels and helps economy.’
- ‘The climbs will sort it out, so it's not going to be a case of hanging on the flat and ducking and diving in a sprint finish.’
- ‘Walking, whether on hills or on the flat, is a popular past-time in the locality.’
- ‘As you accelerate the gentle roar of the engine is quite deceptive as the car speeds up on the flat although it was tested by some of the steeper hills.’
- 1.1on the Flat (of a horse race) on an open course as opposed to one with jumps.
- ‘The gelding, a decent handicapper on the Flat, has run two respectable races over hurdles this season.’
- ‘He began training 48 years ago and has had success both on the Flat and over jumps, training over 2,000 winners.’
- ‘His remarkable record embraced no fewer than 37 victories - 21 on the Flat and 16 over jumps from 85 races under both codes.’
- ‘These races are usually confined to four, five and six-year-olds who have not run on the Flat - and have not yet competed in jumping races.’
- ‘Many jump jockeys start on the Flat, and move over when their weight becomes too much to shed in the sauna.’
- ‘You need to have good horses to compete on the Flat and the ones I get are not up to that standard.’
- ‘He is one of the few jumps trainers to have enjoyed success on the Flat, landing several races at Royal Ascot as well as the Northumberland Plate and the Doncaster Cup.’
- ‘Although the four-year-old was a beaten favourite on his debut over hurdles, he was a pretty decent horse on the Flat last season.’
- ‘The massive first prize of £104,000 in the Pitmen's Derby bettered anything previously won in a single race by any Scottish trainer on the Flat or over jumps.’
- ‘An ordinary horse on the Flat would have to win five or six races a season to cover his training fees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.