One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1On level ground as opposed to uphill.‘the car wouldn't go uphill or overtake on the flat’
- ‘The climbs will sort it out, so it's not going to be a case of hanging on the flat and ducking and diving in a sprint finish.’
- ‘Tackling a slight incline soon has you dropping out of fifth but on the flat the extra ratio reduces noise levels and helps economy.’
- ‘On the vet's advice, for two months we walked her on the flat and short distances only to see if it was a sprain that would heal and it hasn't.’
- ‘As you accelerate the gentle roar of the engine is quite deceptive as the car speeds up on the flat although it was tested by some of the steeper hills.’
- ‘Walking, whether on hills or on the flat, is a popular past-time in the locality.’
- 1.1on the Flat (of a horse race) on an open course as opposed to one with jumps.
- ‘Many jump jockeys start on the Flat, and move over when their weight becomes too much to shed in the sauna.’
- ‘The massive first prize of £104,000 in the Pitmen's Derby bettered anything previously won in a single race by any Scottish trainer on the Flat or over jumps.’
- ‘The gelding, a decent handicapper on the Flat, has run two respectable races over hurdles this season.’
- ‘He is one of the few jumps trainers to have enjoyed success on the Flat, landing several races at Royal Ascot as well as the Northumberland Plate and the Doncaster Cup.’
- ‘An ordinary horse on the Flat would have to win five or six races a season to cover his training fees.’
- ‘You need to have good horses to compete on the Flat and the ones I get are not up to that standard.’
- ‘These races are usually confined to four, five and six-year-olds who have not run on the Flat - and have not yet competed in jumping races.’
- ‘His remarkable record embraced no fewer than 37 victories - 21 on the Flat and 16 over jumps from 85 races under both codes.’
- ‘Although the four-year-old was a beaten favourite on his debut over hurdles, he was a pretty decent horse on the Flat last season.’
- ‘He began training 48 years ago and has had success both on the Flat and over jumps, training over 2,000 winners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.