One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an idea, scheme, or proposal) under consideration and not yet ready to put into practice.‘there are plans to enlarge the runway, but at present all this remains on the drawing board’
exploratory, investigational, probing, fact-finding, trial and errorView synonyms
- ‘Proposals are on the drawing board and they are eager to bring about a revival of the game.’
- ‘Proposals for the centre have been on the drawing board since 1997, councillors approving the plans two years ago.’
- ‘The other ideas remain on the drawing board, meaning that debris reduction will have to rely on mitigation, at least for the near future.’
- ‘We recommended that they extend these stores to all locations, as well as introduce any new service ideas they had on the drawing board.’
- ‘Even if such space faring abilities were beyond them, the sooner the ideas were on the drawing board, the sooner something would get done.’
- ‘But prices have risen since the scheme first went on the drawing board.’
- ‘The people of Bingley have every right to be alarmed at the proposals on the drawing board for the redevelopment of this historic community.’
- ‘Other ideas like birdhouse building are still on the drawing board.’
- ‘According to Pat there are a number of schemes on the drawing board which will commence construction immediately after Christmas.’
- ‘Proposals for the centre have been on the drawing board since 1997 but Sheffield City Council only approved the plans three years ago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.