One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Likely to be abolished or drastically reduced.‘the $1.6 billion we spend each year on transportation subsidies is on the chopping block’
- ‘But suggestions in recent weeks by the Health Minister that complementary therapies may also be on the chopping block may not be met with such calm compliance.’
- ‘But even this understates the costs, because many state taxes, tied to federal policies, also have been placed on the chopping block.’
- ‘Due to provincial cuts to their budget, the Fraser Health Authority has had to put home care on the chopping block, with other regions to follow.’
- ‘Parents of children who attend Westover and Ridgeway Annex say they're shocked their kids' schools are on the chopping block in North Vancouver.’
- ‘Nonetheless, no president in recent times has declared an ambition to slaughter as many sacred cows: immigration, social security, tort reform and the tax code are all on the chopping block.’
- ‘Other poverty programs, such as public housing, are also on the chopping block.’
- ‘Otherwise, the powers that be will know who's not paying attention and important youth policy initiatives will be the first on the chopping block.’
- ‘However, due to a huge deficit in the state's budget, there is reason to fear that legislators will put financial aid awards for college students on the chopping block.’
- ‘With the Provincial Government of the day preaching more centralization, an office like that in a small community was definitely on the chopping block.’
- ‘Funding for national parks and clean water is on the chopping block.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.