One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Intentionally.‘he was being annoying on purpose’
deliberately, intentionally, purposely, by design, wilfully, calculatedly, premeditatedly, wittingly, knowingly, consciouslyView synonyms
- ‘Firefighters believe youths who were waiting for them on the estate had started the blazes on purpose.’
- ‘Many within the industry and in the rail driving unions stress that no train driver runs a red light on purpose.’
- ‘The wife thought I'd done it on purpose, so I was in the doghouse for a while.’
- ‘Are we to think again that he doesn't understand the law, or did he hide some of the facts on purpose?’
- ‘Does anybody realise that buses actually drive through the traffic jams or are they coming late on purpose just to annoy you?’
- ‘I'm only glad that it was an accident and that he didn't do it on purpose.’
- ‘Successful people are not gifted; they just work hard, then succeed on purpose.’
- ‘Technically speaking, the Bhopal tragedy was an accident, in that it was not done on purpose.’
- ‘Trying to be annoying on purpose doesn't strike me as the pinnacle of political broadcasting.’
- ‘It was only later that I realised that the boy had probably done it on purpose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.