One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
All around.‘new technologies were springing up on every hand’
- ‘I do not see how anyone can look with genuine openness at the surrounding world without a sense of mystery on every hand.’
- ‘However, he is prevented on every hand from achieving these modest goals.’
- ‘New branches of business are constantly springing up on every hand.’
- ‘When there was nothing but deadness on every hand, the Spirit of life kept him alive.’
- ‘We come next to the wonderful subject of his virgin birth - a profound truth that is assailed on every hand today and, sad to relate, abandoned by many leaders of so-called Christendom.’
- ‘Above me curves the blue arch; away on every hand stretches the yellow prairie, and scattered near and far are the dark forms of buffalo.’
- ‘He is bombarded by advice from the conventionally wise who see danger on every hand.’
- ‘I point out that, to the contrary, neo-Nazis are prone to very complex thinking - since their view of the world is contradicted on every hand.’
- ‘But what this book amply demonstrates is that hers was a full and very complex life, peopled by academics and celebrities on every hand, and that no simple ‘explanation’ can possibly account for all, or even any, of its events.’
- ‘The Left believe in NO inborn limits on what human arrangements will work whereas Mark sees limits on every hand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.