One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drive to the on side.
- ‘Giffen was an attacking batsman and had a variety of strokes including powerful off and on drives.’
- ‘Getting hit on drives to the basket is nothing new for him.’
- ‘And the on drives looked great, very few batsmen have the ability to play ball wide of mid on without lifting the ball.’
- ‘Syracuse likes to get him the ball along the baseline, where he can score on drives or draw double-teams and pass to teammates.’
with object Drive a ball delivered by (a bowler) to the on side.‘Wright, who had on-driven Maru for six earlier, was immediately run out’
- ‘The first bowling change on came at 46 with White taking over from Sidebottom, whose five overs had cost nine runs, but Montgomerie soon worked him through mid-wicket to raise the 50 and he on-drove the next ball for two.’
- ‘Jonathan Hughes and Mike Powell briefly steadied the ship, with Hughes bringing up the fifty with a sumptuous cover drive off Ben Phillips, before on-driving the same bowler for another crisp four in his next over.’
- ‘A little later, a pitched-up delivery was on-driven with effortless ease.’
- ‘Barnes on-drove for two and then three byes followed which once again tilted the scales.’
- ‘His confidence dented, Laxman, who had on-driven Shane Warne with effortless ease - hitting against sharp leg-spin is perhaps the toughest shot in the cricketing manual - in the past, was now succumbing to long hops from the Aussie.’
- ‘His memorable moment came in the second over after the tea-break when he on-drove fast bowler Dillon.’
- ‘McGrath on-drove Middlebrook high into the stand for six but Jaques was let off again on 91 when Andy Flower missed a sharp chance at slip.’
- ‘When, briefly Warne switched back to over the wicket after tea, Pietersen hit him straight for six and on-drove him for four.’
- ‘There were many breathtaking moments in Martyn's innings but none more so than when he on-drove left-arm spinner Ian Fisher for two enormous sixes in the region of the old winter shed to complete his double century.’
- ‘Murray Goodwin began with a single before Richard Montgomerie cut a four and on-drove a three and the next ball was steered to the vacant third man boundary by Goodwin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.