One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extremely happy.‘I was on cloud nine once I had completed it’
ecstatic, rapturous, joyful, elated, blissful, joyous, beatific, euphoric, enraptured, in seventh heaven, transported, in transports, in raptures, beside oneself with happiness, beside oneself with joy, rhapsodic, ravished, enchanted, delighted, thrilled, overjoyed, very happyView synonyms
- ‘‘I was on cloud nine when I heard I won and I'm still up there,’ he said.’
- ‘Now I knew why he was so happy upon my entering, he was on cloud nine, and was ecstatic to have someone to share it with.’
- ‘She was on cloud nine when she came home that evening,’ says her father.’
- ‘But last Monday he woke to find his sight had miraculously returned, and he has been on cloud nine ever since.’
- ‘‘I was walking on cloud nine for days,’ she said.’
- ‘And when it got an Oscar for visual effects, the team was on cloud nine.’
- ‘To play for the school team at cricket and football put me on cloud nine.’
- ‘Naturally, the airlines personnel are on cloud nine at receiving the honour.’
- ‘Similarly, the other day someone in town recognised my name when I introduced myself, and said they'd heard my report on the radio that morning, which was nothing short of amazing and left me on cloud nine for most of the day.’
- ‘The football club may still have an uncertain future, but fans were on cloud nine after a 3-1 win.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.