Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of goods) supplied on condition that they may be returned if not satisfactory.‘we would be happy to send you a selection on approval’
on trial, under probationon sale or returnon approView synonyms
- ‘They have confidence that at your gallery they will be happily welcomed, you will be eager to show them your merchandise and quick to let you take art home on approval.’
- ‘We will rush a framing job when necessary to accommodate and will not add rush fees; we allow work to go out on approval and be returned if it does not work; and we offer free consultation services.’
- ‘‘We have great relationships with our artists and they will send us work on approval to show clients,’ says the 27-year veteran of the art market.’
- ‘She immediately sent him three tree of life panels on approval, which he returned because ‘I don't think they really suit the style of my house.’’
- ‘And designers want to take out the samples and artwork on approval so they can show them to their customers and see how they will look in the space.’
- ‘As soon as the ministry gives its opinion, the project will be forwarded to the Cabinet, which on approval will submit it to Parliament.’
- ‘I have it on approval and I'm trying to decide if it's The One, but I can't tell.’
- ‘He added that services like discounts, selection, art on approval, flaming, installation, commissions and delivery can help, as well.’
- ‘They can take what they bought to their home on approval for a week.’
- ‘Nevertheless, he asks ‘for the article to be sent on approval, along with some other engravings and sketches which appeared in the same catalog’.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.