One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The penalty for disobedience or shortcoming being.‘they proscribed all such practices on pain of death’
- ‘Detainees can be forced to answer questions on pain of imprisonment and now, if charged, police will be able to interrogate them for a further 24 hours before facing court.’
- ‘A 15-year deal will have certain conditions which must be fulfilled on pain of penalties being imposed.’
- ‘We, being the ones who swore, even on pain of death, that we would defend the interests of the System, feel that our acts must be selfless in all aspects.’
- ‘No knives that have gone into the peanut butter must ever go into the jam, on pain of death, literally.’
- ‘They could disobey orders only on pain of death.’
- ‘But he was exiled permanently from Rome, never to return under pain of death.’
- ‘She made me swear on pain of death that I'd go to a salon in Newcastle the morning of the event and get my hair put up by a specialist.’
- ‘In the course of that investigation, the applicant was required to answer questions on pain of penalty.’
- ‘This effectively prevents the authority from supporting any other cinema site under pain of financial penalty.’
- ‘I don't think you can really call it benevolence when someone is forced to do nice things on pain of death.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.