One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of parking facilities) at the side of a public road.
- ‘A lack of parking spaces could lead to on-street car parking, causing congestion’
- ‘Each home would have 1.5 car parking spaces plus some on-street parking.’
- ‘This means there will be very little on-street parking available in this area.’
- ‘Are the council's parking restrictions on quiet roads and their evening on-street charges congestion-relieving initiatives?’
- ‘Prices for using car parks and on-street bays are going up, some by as much as 50 per cent.’
- ‘Outside, they heard concerns about speed tables on Silver Street and on-street car parking enforcement.’
- ‘Residents may also be consulted over the re-introduction of some on-street evening parking.’
- ‘It is understood that, whatever happens, the council will push ahead with its decision to hand control of on-street parking to NCP from the end of the month.’
- ‘As part of its strategy to encourage increased use of public transport, Hull Council has proposed new charges for on-street parking and council-owned car parks.’
- ‘Restore on-street evening parking and make this tourist city the attractive, vibrant place it used to be to visitors.’
- ‘At midnight, parking giant NCP took control of on-street parking in Manchester from controversial Control Plus.’
- ‘The steering group has conducted and mapped a survey of roads and pavements and highlighted areas of concern from congestion and narrow roads to on-street parking.’
- ‘The occupancy rate in relation to on-street parking in Fernshaw Road is between 94 and 100%.’
- ‘He parked his car in an on-street pay-and-display bay on Market Street, Bury, near to The Robert Peel pub, but deliberately did not purchase a ticket.’
- ‘New litter bins, cycle stands, additional on-street car parking bays and new, less obtrusive signs are also planned.’
- ‘She added the first part of the scheme has created more on-street short stay parking and said the new paving has almost been finished.’
- ‘The inflation-busting rises apply to both public car parks and on-street parking bays, and vary, depending on the location.’
- ‘It is aimed at reducing the pressure for on-street car parking during events at the village hall.’
- ‘But now there is no hiding place for a foreigner if he or she overstays the welcome in the city's car parks or ignores on-street yellow line restrictions.’
- ‘Last year, more than 400 people wrote to the council opposing the introduction of on-street short stay parking charges.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.