Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of parking facilities) at the side of a public road.
- ‘New litter bins, cycle stands, additional on-street car parking bays and new, less obtrusive signs are also planned.’
- ‘The occupancy rate in relation to on-street parking in Fernshaw Road is between 94 and 100%.’
- ‘But now there is no hiding place for a foreigner if he or she overstays the welcome in the city's car parks or ignores on-street yellow line restrictions.’
- ‘A lack of parking spaces could lead to on-street car parking, causing congestion’
- ‘This means there will be very little on-street parking available in this area.’
- ‘It is understood that, whatever happens, the council will push ahead with its decision to hand control of on-street parking to NCP from the end of the month.’
- ‘She added the first part of the scheme has created more on-street short stay parking and said the new paving has almost been finished.’
- ‘Prices for using car parks and on-street bays are going up, some by as much as 50 per cent.’
- ‘The inflation-busting rises apply to both public car parks and on-street parking bays, and vary, depending on the location.’
- ‘Residents may also be consulted over the re-introduction of some on-street evening parking.’
- ‘At midnight, parking giant NCP took control of on-street parking in Manchester from controversial Control Plus.’
- ‘It is aimed at reducing the pressure for on-street car parking during events at the village hall.’
- ‘As part of its strategy to encourage increased use of public transport, Hull Council has proposed new charges for on-street parking and council-owned car parks.’
- ‘He parked his car in an on-street pay-and-display bay on Market Street, Bury, near to The Robert Peel pub, but deliberately did not purchase a ticket.’
- ‘Are the council's parking restrictions on quiet roads and their evening on-street charges congestion-relieving initiatives?’
- ‘Last year, more than 400 people wrote to the council opposing the introduction of on-street short stay parking charges.’
- ‘Restore on-street evening parking and make this tourist city the attractive, vibrant place it used to be to visitors.’
- ‘Each home would have 1.5 car parking spaces plus some on-street parking.’
- ‘Outside, they heard concerns about speed tables on Silver Street and on-street car parking enforcement.’
- ‘The steering group has conducted and mapped a survey of roads and pavements and highlighted areas of concern from congestion and narrow roads to on-street parking.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.