One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the navel, especially in newborn babies.‘symptoms of omphalitis begin two to three days after birth’
- ‘This view has been questioned since a history of omphalitis and intra-abdominal sepsis has been documented in relatively few patients.’
- ‘One infant washed with soap and water developed omphalitis, an infection which can lead to an often deadly condition called necrotizing fasciitis, the study found.’
- ‘One child was diagnosed with omphalitis and was treated in the hospital with antibiotics.’
- ‘Omphalitis must be treated aggressively with antibiotics.’
- ‘Neonatal umbilical infection, or omphalitis, is characterized by redness, induration, and purulent or malodorous drainage from the umbilical stump.’
Mid 19th century: from omphalo- + -itis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.