Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish of beaten eggs cooked in a frying pan and served plain or with a savoury or sweet topping or filling.‘a cheese omelette’
- ‘The meal included freshly baked bread, salad, omelettes, ham, sausages, maple baked beans and crêpes for dessert.’
- ‘I'd like an omelette plain and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast.’
- ‘Mike Thomson, the owner/manager, will be serving bagels, omelettes, salads, home made soups and baking and pasta dishes.’
- ‘So many fresh foods are incredibly quick to prepare and easily assembled into tempting fast meals - such as soups, omelettes, warm salads and pasta dishes.’
- ‘Toss on a little salt after roasting and add to pasta, polenta, pizza and omelets.’
- ‘Fresh and colorful alfalfa sprouts, crisp and crunchy mung bean sprouts, or any of the half dozen other kinds of raw sprouts sold in America today add taste and texture to salads, sandwiches, soups, omelets, and other dishes.’
- ‘The things I can manage are omelettes, Caesar salads and macaroni-and-cheese.’
- ‘The menu includes jacket potatoes, omelettes, pizza, and panini, and we wouldn't hesitate to have another snack here if the opportunity arose.’
- ‘He once had a faddish private client who insisted on egg-white omelettes, to be cooked without butter or oil in the pan.’
- ‘Connie suggests pasta dishes such as spaghetti bolognese, omelettes, even a healthy salad.’
- ‘My dish there was an omelet with American cheese and onions.’
- ‘Egg-based dishes such as omelettes or frittatas which include cooked vegetables can be prepared quickly and make a wholesome entrée.’
- ‘Alongside the roast beef, a cook prepared fresh omelettes and pasta.’
- ‘Growers and ranchers start the day with frittatas, omelets, or chicken-fried steak and three eggs in this historic shack just off the Carneros Highway.’
- ‘But there are sandwiches, omelettes, baked potato fillings, pasta sauces for when you are running on empty, and a picture of Karmel and her glowing offspring to inspire you to try harder when you reach for the freezer door.’
- ‘A chef was stationed at one end to cook omelettes and serve bacon, sausages and black pudding.’
- ‘They were only serving omelets and sausage today, for some insane reason.’
- ‘Unlike a classic omelette, you serve it open and finish it off under a grill so that it is set in the middle.’
- ‘And when I say breakfast, I don't mean just cereal and a bagel; I mean pancakes, omelets, sausage, bacon, the works.’
- ‘Fresh leaves can be added to soups, stews, omelettes or salads.’
French, earlier amelette (alteration of alumette), variant of alumelle, from lemele knife blade, from Latin lamella (see lamella). The association with knife blade is probably because of the thin flat shape of an omelette.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.