One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The last letter of the Greek alphabet (Ω, ω), transliterated as ‘o’ or ‘ō’.
- ‘What letter is before omega in the Greek alphabet?’
- ‘After all, her father was a maths teacher who knew his alpha from his omega.’
- ‘Centered on the crest is the white carnation, with the Chi to the left and the Omega to the right of the flower.’
- ‘Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega, Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.’
- ‘Ah, yes, the round letters are quite small; yes, the omicrons and omegas seem to hover, there, in the middle of the line.’
- 1.1usually as modifier The last of a series.‘the omega point’
- ‘That's the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega, and there's no exceptions.’
- ‘Your work has a beginning and an end, an Alpha and an Omega.’
- ‘An alpha leads a pack, and the omega is the lowest standing.’
- ‘For a Pack werewolf, such a handicap would condemn me to omega status - the bottom of the heap.’
- ‘He is the alpha to my omega, the end to my beginning.’
- ‘I think those guys who talk about animals on the telly, like that old Brit guy, would term me ‘the omega of the pack’.’
- ‘The alpha and the omega for this man who's worked to become the most despised, the most frightening artist in music.’
- ‘He is the alpha and the omega, the principle and the end, the foundation stone and the keystone, the plenitude and the plenifier.’
- ‘And grip variations seem to span the alpha to the omega of possibilities.’
- ‘We are the alpha and the omega in seashore dining and freshly prepared gourmet seafood.’
- ‘Are we willing to be the alpha and the omega rather than stand in the middle all the time?’
- ‘There are dangers to thinking of time as headed inevitably to some omega point, of us being on some inevitable road to Armageddon.’
- 1.2Astronomy followed by Latin genitive The twenty-fourth star in a constellation.‘Omega Scorpii’
- ‘Omega Scorpii, a star, looks like a fifth moon, so don't be deceived.’
- ‘Omega Centauri has been known to be an unusual globular cluster for a long time.’
- ‘Finally there is Omega Scorpii, made up of two stars which. can be seen separately with the naked eye; the magnitudes are. 4.0 and 4.3.’
- ‘Hubbles Advanced Camera for Surveys showed how the stars are bunching up near the center of Omega Centauri, as seen in the gradual increase in starlight near the center.’
- ‘Surveys showed how the stars are bunching up near the center of Omega Centauri, as seen in the gradual increase in starlight near the center.’
1Ohm(s)‘a 100Ω resistor’
From Greek ō mega ‘the great O’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.