One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The last letter of the Greek alphabet (Ω, ω), transliterated as ‘o’ or ‘ō’.
- ‘What letter is before omega in the Greek alphabet?’
- ‘Centered on the crest is the white carnation, with the Chi to the left and the Omega to the right of the flower.’
- ‘Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega, Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.’
- ‘After all, her father was a maths teacher who knew his alpha from his omega.’
- ‘Ah, yes, the round letters are quite small; yes, the omicrons and omegas seem to hover, there, in the middle of the line.’
- 1.1usually as modifier The last of a series.‘the omega point’
- ‘For a Pack werewolf, such a handicap would condemn me to omega status - the bottom of the heap.’
- ‘Your work has a beginning and an end, an Alpha and an Omega.’
- ‘And grip variations seem to span the alpha to the omega of possibilities.’
- ‘That's the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega, and there's no exceptions.’
- ‘He is the alpha and the omega, the principle and the end, the foundation stone and the keystone, the plenitude and the plenifier.’
- ‘There are dangers to thinking of time as headed inevitably to some omega point, of us being on some inevitable road to Armageddon.’
- ‘Are we willing to be the alpha and the omega rather than stand in the middle all the time?’
- ‘We are the alpha and the omega in seashore dining and freshly prepared gourmet seafood.’
- ‘The alpha and the omega for this man who's worked to become the most despised, the most frightening artist in music.’
- ‘An alpha leads a pack, and the omega is the lowest standing.’
- ‘I think those guys who talk about animals on the telly, like that old Brit guy, would term me ‘the omega of the pack’.’
- ‘He is the alpha to my omega, the end to my beginning.’
- 1.2Astronomy followed by Latin genitive The twenty-fourth star in a constellation.‘Omega Scorpii’
- ‘Omega Scorpii, a star, looks like a fifth moon, so don't be deceived.’
- ‘Surveys showed how the stars are bunching up near the center of Omega Centauri, as seen in the gradual increase in starlight near the center.’
- ‘Finally there is Omega Scorpii, made up of two stars which. can be seen separately with the naked eye; the magnitudes are. 4.0 and 4.3.’
- ‘Omega Centauri has been known to be an unusual globular cluster for a long time.’
- ‘Hubbles Advanced Camera for Surveys showed how the stars are bunching up near the center of Omega Centauri, as seen in the gradual increase in starlight near the center.’
1Ohm(s)‘a 100Ω resistor’
From Greek ō mega ‘the great O’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.