One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish person.
- ‘God give you sense, sure they're only a flock of omadawns.’
- ‘The government had their spies here an' there -- an' they were no omadhawns --- on the lookout for priests.’
- ‘This trio of self-proclaimed "omadawns" was brought together as only an ensemble of this nature can - through misunderstanding.’
- ‘Mr Cunningham said: - It is supposed - they say, you know - to take place in the depot where they get these thundering big country fellows, omadhauns, you know, to drill.’
- ‘Think about some of the omadhauns who have ‘become Irish’ in recent years.’
Early 19th century: from Irish amadán.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.