Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flame lit at Olympia in Greece, the site of the ancient Olympics, and ceremonially conveyed to the city that is hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games, where it is kept alight for the duration of the Games.‘the closing ceremony ended with a firework display and the extinguishing of the Olympic flame’
- ‘The event will include the ceremonial lighting of the Olympic flame.’
- ‘It is still to be determined whether there would be a British entry in the football, but given that the opening match would be played before the start of the Games proper, it represents a flicker of excitement for Scotland before the Olympic flame is lit.’
- ‘For the first time in 56 years, the Olympic flame passed through London.’
- ‘To him, the Olympic flame is a vital symbol of peace in particularly troubling times.’
- ‘Prince William and his wife Kate welcomed the Olympic flame to Buckingham Palace Thursday, the penultimate day of its marathon journey that culminates at the London Games opening ceremony.’
- ‘"The Olympic flame is not just a beacon, but a guiding light to greater involvement for sport among women for decades to come," said Jowell.’
- ‘Athens is revelling in its role as the keeper of the Olympic flame.’
- ‘Since that historic day the Olympic flame continues to spread goodwill and harmony between many different nations.’
- ‘Marketing chiefs know they can't rely on the Olympic flame forever.’
- ‘There will be many poignant moments before the Olympic Flame, which has been burning in the cauldron since the opening of the Games, is extinguished.’
- ‘If you can remember what keeps the Olympic flame alive - the simple dignity of human athletic performance - hold on to that thought.’
- ‘Former Chinese gymnast Li Ning carried the Olympic flame as he was lifted to the air during the opening ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Games.’
- ‘With the start of the Games tantalisingly close, the Queen described how the journey of the Olympic flame around the country had brought communities and families together.’
- ‘The Olympic flame is the symbol of any Games and keeping it alight requires enormous technical skill and knowledge.’
- ‘Then Ali was chosen to light the Olympic flame in Atlanta.’
- ‘Each escort runner will travel with the Olympic flame for approximately 2,000 meters.’
- ‘Intended as a celebration showcasing the best of the host nation, it will feature a parade of all competing nations and the highly anticipated entrance of the Olympic flame, which ignites the cauldron and signals the start of the Games.’
- ‘Hundreds of supporters lined the streets of the north Leitrim town of Manorhamilton to welcome the Olympic flame to Ireland.’
- ‘She said her abiding memory of the night would be the arrival of the Olympic flame into the stadium after its 17-day journey across 15 countries and its two-day whirlwind tour.’
- ‘The modern Olympic flame was introduced at the Amsterdam Olympic Games in 1928.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.