One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural ologieshumorous, informal
A subject of study; a branch of knowledge.
- ‘‘‘Isms’ and ‘ologies’,’ Magdalena said dryly, ‘Have we enough of them?’’
- ‘All this ology and itis is so off-putting, not to mention grim HIV warnings all the time.’
- ‘I believe the battle against bad ideology and bad theology (fill in additional ‘ologies’) is for better or worse fought out in those realms.’
- ‘Graphology, Beck told me, is ‘the most precise of the ‘ologies’ ‘, but has a problem in the test that McIntosh had suggested we perform, because ‘99 percent of persons in the U.K. are not in the right jobs.’’
- ‘Well you've learned a lot from the ‘ologies that you studied: sociology, anthropology, and psychology, where religion is a kind of man-made myth that compensates for the have-nots.’
- ‘All the rituals were observed, we talked of our pasts, and the cosmos and all its ologies was deeply explored.’
- ‘Pathology is the study of diseases but, like many ologies (ideology, biology, epistemology etc), it has come to refer to the object of study itself.’
- ‘Questions are divided into categories such as Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Computer Science and will feature some rather ‘exotic’ rounds of questions which usually includes an ‘‘ologies’ round.’
- ‘The medical pedagogues of my day were far too busy hammering anatomy, physiology, pharmacology and all the other ‘ologies’ into our unwilling skulls, so that ‘unimportant’ bits like stress were not covered.’
- ‘Dottle's not only a sailor and kayaker but also a naturalist who has studied ornithology, hydrology, ‘and a bunch of other ologies,’ he says with a smile.’
- ‘I'm sensitive, but I'm not a psychic, nor do I ever aspire to be, and I don't believe in things like iridology, or most of the other ologies, and crystals are just pretty things.’
- ‘Courses in some universities were offered in these ‘ologies,’ and degrees were awarded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.