One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a lake) relatively poor in plant nutrients and containing abundant oxygen in the deeper parts.
- ‘The Lake was originally an oligotrophic water body with hydrocarbonate-calcium ionic content, very low turbidity, and low concentrations of microelements.’
- ‘We investigated bacterial responses to variations in dissolved organic carbon and nutrient availability by a comparative analysis of bacterial metabolism in lakes ranging from oligotrophic to eutrophic.’
- ‘In two oligotrophic lakes, calanoid copepods ingested HNF at biomass-specific rates that were 2.2 times higher than those of cladocerans.’
- ‘The relationship between gas transfer velocity and wind speed was evaluated at low wind speeds by quantifying the rate of evasion of the deliberate tracer, SF 6, from a small oligotrophic lake.’
- ‘The intermediate region, where both mass transfer and kinetics influence the solution, is relatively broad for first-order kinetics and Monod kinetics in oligotrophic environments.’
- ‘We examined long-term phytoplankton data records for four oligotrophic boreal lakes situated in the Experimental Lakes Area, western Ontario, for responses to climatic change.’
- ‘Given the dearth of nutrients in their environment, these oligotrophic bacteria must generate their energy from a variety of sources.’
- ‘Trophic means concerned with nutrition, and oligotrophic lakes are poorly fed; that is, they have a low concentration of nutrient elements such as nitrogen and phosphorus.’
- ‘Altogether, this indicates that sestonic components of autochthonous origin should be closer to Redfield proportions in eutrophic than in oligotrophic lakes.’
- ‘Rainbow trout was collected in lakes of all sizes, depths, and elevations, ranging from low to high levels of lake disturbance and relatively oligotrophic to eutrophic waters.’
- ‘For males and females, much of the relationship was driven by the values for Lake Woodruff, the only oligotrophic lake.’
- ‘Median photosynthetic parameters observed with the oxygen method were up to twice as high as those measured with 14 C in other oligotrophic Shield lakes.’
- ‘Redberry Lake, an oligotrophic saline lake in central Saskatchewan, is located in a hydrologically closed basin and has high levels of DOC.’
- ‘Model predictions of downwelling spectral irradiance distributions in seagrass canopies growing in both oligotrophic and eutrophic waters were within 15% of field measurements.’
- ‘The centers of a raised bog consist of oligotrophic peat, the best quality fuel, not polluted by mineral substances such as clay or sand.’
- ‘A coupled algae - bacteria relationship mediated by C released from algae was observed during a 2-yr period in an oligotrophic high mountain lake, except at upper depths.’
- ‘Seasonal variations in the stable isotope composition of crustacean zooplankton and their putative food sources in oligotrophic Loch Ness were recorded during 1998.’
- ‘Lake trout are the only major native sport fish adapted to the deep, cold water of oligotrophic (low-nutrient) lakes, such as those often found in northern Canada and the northern Great Lakes region’
- ‘It is interesting that they found a lower incidence of food limitation in K. cochlearis from an oligotrophic lake than we found in a eutrophic pond which presumably had a higher total biomass of phytoplankton.’
- ‘For freshwater CAM plants the sites are seasonal pools, oligotrophic lakes, freshwater tidal creeks, irrigation channels and the like, all over the world, including high latitudes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.