Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a lake) relatively poor in plant nutrients and containing abundant oxygen in the deeper parts.
- ‘We investigated bacterial responses to variations in dissolved organic carbon and nutrient availability by a comparative analysis of bacterial metabolism in lakes ranging from oligotrophic to eutrophic.’
- ‘For males and females, much of the relationship was driven by the values for Lake Woodruff, the only oligotrophic lake.’
- ‘We examined long-term phytoplankton data records for four oligotrophic boreal lakes situated in the Experimental Lakes Area, western Ontario, for responses to climatic change.’
- ‘The Lake was originally an oligotrophic water body with hydrocarbonate-calcium ionic content, very low turbidity, and low concentrations of microelements.’
- ‘Model predictions of downwelling spectral irradiance distributions in seagrass canopies growing in both oligotrophic and eutrophic waters were within 15% of field measurements.’
- ‘Lake trout are the only major native sport fish adapted to the deep, cold water of oligotrophic (low-nutrient) lakes, such as those often found in northern Canada and the northern Great Lakes region’
- ‘It is interesting that they found a lower incidence of food limitation in K. cochlearis from an oligotrophic lake than we found in a eutrophic pond which presumably had a higher total biomass of phytoplankton.’
- ‘Rainbow trout was collected in lakes of all sizes, depths, and elevations, ranging from low to high levels of lake disturbance and relatively oligotrophic to eutrophic waters.’
- ‘Redberry Lake, an oligotrophic saline lake in central Saskatchewan, is located in a hydrologically closed basin and has high levels of DOC.’
- ‘The intermediate region, where both mass transfer and kinetics influence the solution, is relatively broad for first-order kinetics and Monod kinetics in oligotrophic environments.’
- ‘Median photosynthetic parameters observed with the oxygen method were up to twice as high as those measured with 14 C in other oligotrophic Shield lakes.’
- ‘Trophic means concerned with nutrition, and oligotrophic lakes are poorly fed; that is, they have a low concentration of nutrient elements such as nitrogen and phosphorus.’
- ‘Given the dearth of nutrients in their environment, these oligotrophic bacteria must generate their energy from a variety of sources.’
- ‘In two oligotrophic lakes, calanoid copepods ingested HNF at biomass-specific rates that were 2.2 times higher than those of cladocerans.’
- ‘A coupled algae - bacteria relationship mediated by C released from algae was observed during a 2-yr period in an oligotrophic high mountain lake, except at upper depths.’
- ‘Altogether, this indicates that sestonic components of autochthonous origin should be closer to Redfield proportions in eutrophic than in oligotrophic lakes.’
- ‘The relationship between gas transfer velocity and wind speed was evaluated at low wind speeds by quantifying the rate of evasion of the deliberate tracer, SF 6, from a small oligotrophic lake.’
- ‘The centers of a raised bog consist of oligotrophic peat, the best quality fuel, not polluted by mineral substances such as clay or sand.’
- ‘For freshwater CAM plants the sites are seasonal pools, oligotrophic lakes, freshwater tidal creeks, irrigation channels and the like, all over the world, including high latitudes.’
- ‘Seasonal variations in the stable isotope composition of crustacean zooplankton and their putative food sources in oligotrophic Loch Ness were recorded during 1998.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.