Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A peptide whose molecules contain a relatively small number of amino-acid residues.
- ‘The multi-subunit oligopeptide ABC transporter OppABCDF could be stabilized during dehydration by the addition of 100 mg sucrose/g of lipid.’
- ‘Aminopeptidases and oligopeptidases in the cytosol may cleave oligopeptides into free amino acids.’
- ‘These zinc-dependent endoproteases may act on a large number of substrates, or they may be highly specific, targeting only one or a few proteins or oligopeptides.’
- ‘Endopeptidases play key roles in storage protein degradation, producing oligopeptides.’
- ‘The major computational expense for the [alpha] helix prediction stage involves the calculation of accurate solvation and ionization energies for a subset of the overall oligopeptides.’
- ‘By analogy, biomaterials like proteins and self-assembling oligopeptides may have a critical aggregation concentration based on their amphiphilic structures.’
- ‘This nonspecific binding is similar to the behavior displayed by other cationic DNA-binding ligands such as cationic oligopeptides and polyamines.’
- ‘The bounds are extracted from the set of low free energy conformers identified for oligopeptides representing these loop residue segments.’
- ‘The question arises whether the theoretical concept can be extended to analyze oligopeptides with more than two peptide groups.’
- ‘A striking manifestation of this phenomena is the ability to grow crystalline solid-state structures from a solution of cyclic elastin-like oligopeptides by heating.’
- ‘Isolation and characterization of a group of oligopeptides related to oxidized glutathione from the root of Panax ginseng.’
- ‘The analysis of the free energy of these oligopeptides therefore requires efficient methods for locating not only the global minimum energy structure but also large numbers of low energy conformers.’
- ‘The other three proteins studied-the lipid-anchored oligopeptide binding protein OppA, the oligopeptide translocator complex OppBCDF, and the secondary lactose transporter LacS-were found to be less stable.’
- ‘Longer chains containing a few amino acids are often called oligopeptides or polypeptides if they contain as many as 50.’
- ‘We have shown that single-molecule properties have a critical influence on the self-assembly of charged oligopeptides.’
- ‘Recently, however, several groups have studied systems of several to dozens of oligopeptides at atomic resolutions using computer simulations.’
- ‘Similar values for equilibrium constants have been reported for nonspecific binding of cationic oligopeptides to DNA.’
- ‘However, this may not be the case for oligopeptides such as EAK16 because of their relatively weak intrachain interactions.’
- ‘These values can be used to estimate the total time to calculate free energies for oligopeptides of larger protein systems.’
- ‘The LMWCr oligopeptide is composed of cysteine, glutamate, aspartate, and glycine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.