Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A polynucleotide whose molecules contain a relatively small number of nucleotides.
- ‘This was followed minutes later by the injection of the oligonucleotide complementary to the DNA strand immobilized on sphere S2.’
- ‘Liposomal formulations of genetic drugs such as antisense oligonucleotides and plasmid DNA are difficult to achieve.’
- ‘These studies demonstrate that pre-existing cytosine methylation on oligonucleotides…’
- ‘The peptides can be linked to a large protein or an oligonucleotide, which may then be carried through the cell membrane.’
- ‘We have been examining the potential use of oligonucleotides to direct nucleotide exchanges in episomal and chromosomal genes.’
- ‘The unmodified polynucleotides may be DNA, RNA or synthesized oligonucleotides.’
- ‘In apoptosis, DNA is degraded into oligonucleotides with a few hundreds of basepairs that subsequently diffuse out of the nucleus.’
- ‘The proper orientation and the sequence of the cloned oligonucleotides were checked by nucleotide sequencing.’
- ‘One important application is gene therapy, where it is necessary to deliver a gene or a synthetic oligonucleotide into the cell.’
- ‘Creation and purification of the double-labeled oligonucleotide is synthetically demanding.’
- ‘The unzipping direction (order of nucleotides unzipped) was controlled by the selection of oligonucleotides.’
- ‘In vitro studies on novel DNA structures have mainly involved synthetic oligonucleotides based on naturally occurring sequences.’
- ‘For single bulges in RNA oligonucleotides, the conformation usually depends on the nature of the flanking base pairs.’
- ‘The latter is generally restricted to oligonucleotides but offers higher specificity.’
- ‘Probes are typically fairly short sequences of DNA nucleotides, called oligonucleotides, made synthetically.’
- ‘On single-stranded oligonucleotides, all the guanines are oxidized to the same extent.’
- ‘This problem would be enhanced using arrays composed of long oligonucleotides since only RNAs whose protected regions overlap with the oligo sequence would be identified.’
- ‘The latter is conjugated to primer oligonucleotides that are pre-annealed to a complementary circular oligonucleotide.’
- ‘The purity of the double-stranded oligonucleotides was confirmed by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘Intermolecular tetrameric complexes are usually only formed by short oligonucleotides that contain single tracts of contiguous guanines.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.