Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A polymer whose molecules consist of relatively few repeating units.
- ‘Compositions and methods for manufacturing waxes filled with intercalates and exfoliates formed with oligomers and polymers’
- ‘Intercalates and exfoliates formed with oligomers and polymers and composite materials containing same’
- ‘The incorporated nucleotides form an oligomer with digoxygenin or fluorescein.’
- ‘All oligomers (dimer, trimer, and tetramer) started to form rather early.’
- ‘In any cases, we do not observe formation of organized protein oligomers in the lipid monolayer as described for pore-forming peptides and proteins.’
- ‘In contrast to the dimers which prevail in the dephosphorylated state, the tetramers or higher oligomers of the NtrC-like proteins represent the active regulator species.’
- ‘In addition, it has been theoretically studied using molecular mechanics and DNA oligomers after a minimization process.’
- ‘Low molecular weight oligomers were found in culture media of Chinese hamster ovary cells expressing endogenous or mutated genes.’
- ‘Proanthocyanidin mixtures from grapes are a combination of dimers, trimers, tetramers, oligomers, and polymers.’
- ‘Condensed tannins are oligomers and polymers of flavonoid units linked by carbon-carbon bonds, which are not susceptible to hydrolysis.’
- ‘Although commonly represented as monomers, organolithiums tend to form oligomers of two to six monomer units.’
- ‘In particular, the intrinsic potency of oligomeric alkanols is predicted to increase roughly linearly with the number of repeat units in the oligomer, and thus with chain length.’
- ‘Although many different proteins with diverse functions act on DNA, most act as monomers or components of oligomers containing relatively few other elements.’
- ‘The surfactants include fluroethers, oligomers of propylene-oxide, siloxanes, etc.’
- ‘This indicates that TMR-actin does not form oligomers under polymerization conditions.’
- ‘We select this level of quasi-rigidity at 0.23 following a previous investigation of the dynamics of double helical nucleic acid oligomers.’
- ‘The result may be low molecular weight, broad molecular weight distribution, or the presence of nonreacted monomers or oligomers with very low molecular weights.’
- ‘It has been postulated that an assembly of gp 41 oligomers could establish the molecular scaffold that enables membranes to merge.’
- ‘In contrast to several previous studies, we find no evidence of dimers or other oligomers smaller than decamers.’
- ‘Epoxy resins are actually oligomers, which must be reacted with other polymers such as polyamines, polyamides and polyesters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.