Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An annelid worm of the class Oligochaeta, such as an earthworm.
- ‘Some information has been gathered on the expression of transcription factors associated with segmentation and regeneration in oligochaete annelids.’
- ‘The oligochaete L. terrestris, the only other annelid whose complete mtDNA sequence has been determined, has a somewhat smaller and slightly less A + T-rich mitochondrial genome.’
- ‘Limited support (67% bootstrap support) for hirudineans and oligochaetes, the Clitellata, within polychaetes was also found.’
- ‘Many polychaetes and oligochaetes, and even a few leeches, are burrowers that constantly rework the sediment through which they burrow; in addition, they may ingest and excrete large quantities of sediments or soils.’
- ‘The oligochaetes include earthworms and a group of related, mostly freshwater, species of annelids.’
- ‘We thought that leeches were one group and their sister group with the oligochaetes, earthworms and a variety of other aquatic annelids.’
- ‘For example, bacterial endosymbionts as found in the giant vent Pogonophora are also present in many meiofaunal oligochaetes, nematodes and flatworms.’
- ‘The relative arrangements of all 22 genes identified for Helobdella and Galathealinum are identical to one another and to their arrangements in the mtDNA of the previously studied oligochaete annelid Lumbricus.’
- ‘The littoral zone was dominated by oligochaetes, gastropods, sphaerid clams, and chironomid larvae.’
- ‘Fossil oligochaetes are much rarer, and there are almost no fossil hirudineans known.’
- ‘On the other hand, such relationships are not observed in groups like oligochaete annelids, moths, spiders or within the few families of beetles that have been studied to date.’
- ‘The specimen in the drawing is segmented, which is a diagnostic characteristic of an oligochaete, and it has a long proboscis, an important feature that occurs in members of the genus Stylaria.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.