One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An instrument for measuring the intensity of an odour or the sensitivity of someone or something to an odour.
- ‘First, we assessed whether N. cucumeris avoided odors of Orius that had been feeding on different diets, by means of an olfactometer.’
- ‘Mosquito responses were favorable in the olfactometer, but the human hand still attracted the most.’
- ‘They use an olfactometer, a cage separated by a screen, where mosquitoes are placed on one side and an attractant is pumped through the other, to see if mosquitoes will come to the screen.’
- ‘Predators were individually introduced into the olfactometer at the starting point on an iron wire, which was positioned in the center of the glass tube.’
- ‘A device called an olfactometer wafted the odours of each participant towards the mosquitoes.’
- ‘Each subject was fitted with non-magnetic earphones and a device to deliver smells, called an olfactometer, developed by he and his coauthor, a bioengineering graduate student.’
- ‘In Y-tube olfactometer tests, tomato-strain mites showed a preference for tomato (over cucumber), while cucumber-strain mites showed no preference.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.