Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for alkene
- ‘Ethylene, a two-carbon olefin, is a volatile hormone in higher plants.’
- ‘The second phase comprises an organic solvent containing soluble reagents such as olefins.’
- ‘Such investment will be made in the production of plastic pellets, olefins, and aromatics.’
- ‘In addition, the isomerization of olefins with small molecular weight in glassy solvent at 77 K have been proposed to proceed by H-T mechanism.’
- ‘The material is a thermoplastic olefin nanocomposite.’
- ‘Epoxidation, the conversion of an olefin (an unsaturated alkene hydrocarbon) to a cyclic ether through reaction with hydrogen peroxide, a peracid, or oxygen, is an important chemical technique.’
- ‘Whatever the feedstock, the product slate is a complex mixture of hydrogen, ethylene, other olefins, diolefins and gasoline as well as smaller amounts of acetylenes and carbon monoxide.’
- ‘For the pathway of cis-trans isomerization of olefins, we suggest distinguishing conjugated olefins (including stilbenes) of little polarity from other cases.’
- ‘I've never done an olefin metathesis reaction, which means that the trend started without me and will leave without me.’
- ‘There are four large plants here - Qenos resins, plastics, elastomers and olefins.’
- ‘By use of the present invention it is possible to produce an olefin polymer with high stereoregularity, broad molecular weight distribution, and good fluidity, at high rates of yield.’
- ‘The device has three injection-molded elements made of a cyclic olefin copolymer: the lid, a mixing chamber and a delivery cartridge.’
- ‘It is preferred that the top membrane portion and the base membrane portion are made from thermoplastic olefin material or polyvinyl chloride material.’
- ‘Thermoplastic olefin was considered instead of the vinyl substrate covering.’
- ‘The company said the quarter saw a decline in international prices of olefins, polymer as well as fibre-intermediate on the back of weaker crude oil prices compared with the trailing quarter.’
- ‘Activator solid support for metallocene catalysts in the polymerization of olefins, a process for preparing such a support, and the corresponding catalytic system and polymerization process’
- ‘Classes of polymers used in integrated optics include acrylates, polyimides, polycarbonates, and olefins.’
- ‘Sharpless had begun his investigations into the oxidation of olefins after starting work as an assistant professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1970.’
- ‘Process for selective hydrogenation of highly unsaturated compounds and isomerization of olefins in hydrocarbon streams’
- ‘Process for the preparation of an olefin polymer using metallocenes having specifically substituted indenyl ligands’
Mid 19th century: from French oléfiant oil-forming (with reference to oily ethylene dichloride).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.