Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salt or ester of oleic acid.
- ‘These studies suggest a pattern of decreasing proportions of essential fatty acids (linoleate and linolenate) and replacement by fatty acids such as oleate, possibly of endogenous origin, in preparation for migration.’
- ‘When incubations were carried out with [1 - C] acetate, the main fatty acids labelled were palmitate, oleate, linoleate, and linolenate (results not shown).’
- ‘A number of sclerosing agents such as polidocanol, sodium tetradecyl sulphate, sodium morrhuate, ethanolamine oleate and ethyl alcohol have been widely used for this purpose.’
- ‘Their results demonstrate that the fatty acid ethyl oleate is a pheromone in the process and that it operates in a negative fashion - ethyl oleate slows down worker maturation rate.’
- ‘Pyrene was incorporated into oleate micelles and vesicles at 0.5 mol% by addition from a 5 mM stock solution in methanol.’
- ‘A closer examination of the vesicle growth data reveals that the fast growth phase corresponded to an ~ 40% increase in vesicle surface area, although the ratio of added oleate micelles to initial oleate vesicles varied from 0.5 to 2.’
- ‘Our results show that the most efficient incorporation of added oleate into oleic acid / oleate vesicles occurs under conditions that avoid a large transient increase in the micelle/vesicle ratio.’
- ‘Ethanolamine oleate (Ethamolin ® - Questcor) is a mild sclerosing agent indicated for the treatment of esophageal varices that have recently bled, to prevent rebleeding.’
- ‘Instead, we propose that the stoichiometric limitation on fast phase growth reflects a physical interaction between the added oleate micelles and the preformed vesicles.’
- ‘The RE values shown in the following figures are defined as the sums of RE peaks 5, 6 and 7, corresponding to retinyl linoleate, retinyl oleate and palmitate and retinyl stearate.’
- ‘Using this method, the radius of oleate micelles was found to be 1.3 nm, consistent with the expected size of a spherical oleate micelle.’
- ‘In sclerotherapy a sclerosant solution (ethanolamine oleate or sodium tetradecyl sulphate) is injected into the bleeding varix or the overlying submucosa.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.