One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt or ester of oleic acid.
- ‘Ethanolamine oleate (Ethamolin ® - Questcor) is a mild sclerosing agent indicated for the treatment of esophageal varices that have recently bled, to prevent rebleeding.’
- ‘Our results show that the most efficient incorporation of added oleate into oleic acid / oleate vesicles occurs under conditions that avoid a large transient increase in the micelle/vesicle ratio.’
- ‘Their results demonstrate that the fatty acid ethyl oleate is a pheromone in the process and that it operates in a negative fashion - ethyl oleate slows down worker maturation rate.’
- ‘When incubations were carried out with [1 - C] acetate, the main fatty acids labelled were palmitate, oleate, linoleate, and linolenate (results not shown).’
- ‘The RE values shown in the following figures are defined as the sums of RE peaks 5, 6 and 7, corresponding to retinyl linoleate, retinyl oleate and palmitate and retinyl stearate.’
- ‘Pyrene was incorporated into oleate micelles and vesicles at 0.5 mol% by addition from a 5 mM stock solution in methanol.’
- ‘These studies suggest a pattern of decreasing proportions of essential fatty acids (linoleate and linolenate) and replacement by fatty acids such as oleate, possibly of endogenous origin, in preparation for migration.’
- ‘Using this method, the radius of oleate micelles was found to be 1.3 nm, consistent with the expected size of a spherical oleate micelle.’
- ‘A closer examination of the vesicle growth data reveals that the fast growth phase corresponded to an ~ 40% increase in vesicle surface area, although the ratio of added oleate micelles to initial oleate vesicles varied from 0.5 to 2.’
- ‘A number of sclerosing agents such as polidocanol, sodium tetradecyl sulphate, sodium morrhuate, ethanolamine oleate and ethyl alcohol have been widely used for this purpose.’
- ‘Instead, we propose that the stoichiometric limitation on fast phase growth reflects a physical interaction between the added oleate micelles and the preformed vesicles.’
- ‘In sclerotherapy a sclerosant solution (ethanolamine oleate or sodium tetradecyl sulphate) is injected into the bleeding varix or the overlying submucosa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.