One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A double-flowered rose of a variety or hybrid evolved before the development of the hybrid tea rose.
- ‘She even managed to nurture her favourite old rose, Albertine, into abundance behind the 12 ft ‘great wall of Mey’.’
- ‘Rosa alba is often considered to be the most elegant of the old roses.’
- ‘Organic garden with fruit and vegetables, more than 60 species of old roses, large border, bog garden, rockeries and a large collection of seed grown bonsai.’
- ‘I love plants in season - old roses are a summer favourite - and I've got delphiniums, pelargoniums, agapanthus, tulips, silver birch, to name a few.’
- ‘The most beautiful are the old roses, but these can have short flowering seasons and be prone to disease.’
- ‘Mrs. Cross collects old roses, many of which she starts from cuttings given to her by friends or rescued from old homesteads and other neglected sites.’
- ‘Part of the house and the stableyard will be open to visitors for a small charge, as well as the garden with its collection of old roses.’
- ‘Old world garden contains bluebells, violas, hardy geraniums, sweet peas and old roses.’
2mass noun A shade of deep pink.‘the bedroom was furnished in old rose’
- ‘The change in popularity for Old Rose as a fashion color over the past week is -3.1 percentage points.’
- ‘Its richness is strong but understated, and the Old Rose red is a special colour hue that just laughs at yearly trends and fads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.