One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A religion replaced by another, in particular paganism or Roman Catholicism.
- ‘And so the old religions were nearly all abandoned and all disgraced as Christianity began to take over Europe and Islamic over Africa and the Arabian, although Muslims were around along time before Christians were.’
- ‘The secular is the new religion; the old religion is just a musty, dimly-lit place smelling of wax where you have a doddering old man splash water on your baby's head.’
- ‘It scraps its obsolete steam engines and dynamos; but it wont scrap its old prejudices and its old moralities and its old religions and its old political constitutions.’
- ‘I see Jesus as a later version of the Horned God of the old religions, updated, if you will, to speak to a people with a different mindset.’
- ‘The collapse of old religions introduces a chronic restlessness that leaves people open to grotesque and absurd forms of religiosity.’
- ‘To me this similarity between the new and old religions was kind of the point of the film.’
- ‘Others respond less positively: they fear the adherents of their old religion; they spew hatred and misinformation out of spite to combat hatred and misinformation out of fear.’
- ‘In other words, as he says, they remained faithful to their old religions.’
- ‘Aten was also the embodiment of the sun, as Amon-Re was in the old religion, and was worshipped much the same as Amon-Re was prior to Akhenaten's condemnation of him.’
- ‘Some of these (Sweden and the Netherlands being examples) concluded that there is no need for distinguishing between new and old religions in law.’
- ‘When Tutankhamun came to the throne, his administration restored the old religion and moved the capital from Akhetaten back to its traditional home at Memphis.’
- ‘It speaks to the thought that Christianity has hidden and covered and contravened all we ever knew about the Deity… it speaks to hidden facts about the religion and the persecution the old religions.’
- ‘He longed for a strong dictator and the security of the old religion, without the injustices of the old order.’
- ‘They represent more than the lingering resonance of the old religion.’
- ‘Many settlers, and indeed even government officials, tended to a pragmatic acceptance of the practice of the old religion.’
- ‘White Americans are very much divorced from their roots, for the most part, and the old religions of Europe were interrupted and in most cases eradicated by Christianity.’
- ‘Are these simply nostalgic echoes of the old religion?’
- ‘Still, it's nice to know Wallerstein's admitting that the old religion is finished.’
- ‘They have their own language and are now reasserting their old religion.’
- ‘The old religions returned, but there were also new ones that were apocalyptic amalgams of old beliefs and a half-grasped Christian message.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.