One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A religion replaced by another, in particular paganism or Roman Catholicism.
- ‘They represent more than the lingering resonance of the old religion.’
- ‘White Americans are very much divorced from their roots, for the most part, and the old religions of Europe were interrupted and in most cases eradicated by Christianity.’
- ‘They have their own language and are now reasserting their old religion.’
- ‘When Tutankhamun came to the throne, his administration restored the old religion and moved the capital from Akhetaten back to its traditional home at Memphis.’
- ‘The old religions returned, but there were also new ones that were apocalyptic amalgams of old beliefs and a half-grasped Christian message.’
- ‘Many settlers, and indeed even government officials, tended to a pragmatic acceptance of the practice of the old religion.’
- ‘To me this similarity between the new and old religions was kind of the point of the film.’
- ‘Aten was also the embodiment of the sun, as Amon-Re was in the old religion, and was worshipped much the same as Amon-Re was prior to Akhenaten's condemnation of him.’
- ‘In other words, as he says, they remained faithful to their old religions.’
- ‘It scraps its obsolete steam engines and dynamos; but it wont scrap its old prejudices and its old moralities and its old religions and its old political constitutions.’
- ‘It speaks to the thought that Christianity has hidden and covered and contravened all we ever knew about the Deity… it speaks to hidden facts about the religion and the persecution the old religions.’
- ‘Still, it's nice to know Wallerstein's admitting that the old religion is finished.’
- ‘I see Jesus as a later version of the Horned God of the old religions, updated, if you will, to speak to a people with a different mindset.’
- ‘Are these simply nostalgic echoes of the old religion?’
- ‘Some of these (Sweden and the Netherlands being examples) concluded that there is no need for distinguishing between new and old religions in law.’
- ‘He longed for a strong dictator and the security of the old religion, without the injustices of the old order.’
- ‘Others respond less positively: they fear the adherents of their old religion; they spew hatred and misinformation out of spite to combat hatred and misinformation out of fear.’
- ‘The collapse of old religions introduces a chronic restlessness that leaves people open to grotesque and absurd forms of religiosity.’
- ‘The secular is the new religion; the old religion is just a musty, dimly-lit place smelling of wax where you have a doddering old man splash water on your baby's head.’
- ‘And so the old religions were nearly all abandoned and all disgraced as Christianity began to take over Europe and Islamic over Africa and the Arabian, although Muslims were around along time before Christians were.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.