One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
old-fashioned, outmoded, out of fashion, out of date, unfashionable, frumpish, frumpy, out of style, outdated, dated, out, outworn, old, former, dead, musty, old-time, old-world, behindhand, past, bygone, archaic, obsolescent, obsolete, ancient, antiquated, superannuatedView synonyms
- ‘At one stage yesterday afternoon - and again this morning - it all became too much and every bulb went out, leaving the picturesque old-fangled Edgbaston scoreboard to carry on manfully.’
- ‘One of the villagers showed him an old-fangled film projector which his paternal grandfather had requisitioned to show movies to the villagers.’
- ‘The assumption continues to be an old-fangled, and, I'd argue, antiquated one: that the media will, in the end, always represent a mainstream, establishment consensus view.’
- ‘He measures pain and capacity to suffer in neat units and disregards old-fangled notions such as species or emotion.’
- ‘The money and resources expended on ensuring portability of old-fangled phone numbers will be diverted from other projects.’
- ‘The best film of 2003 is available on DVD (and old-fangled videotape)’
- ‘Have you found out how to work any of those old-fangled weapons yet?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.