One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- variant spelling of oka
1A man.‘who's that oke talking to your sister?’
- ‘People are running around like chickens with their heads cut off because they don't know what they need to do, and this oke can't, and therefore won't, tell them.’
- ‘It's about time, at least this okie's offering a smile for your two-bucks.’
- ‘I used to laugh at the okes on mud island slaving away in the freezing cold.’
- ‘He's an awesome oke, nothing like you would imagine him to be.’
- ‘A strong swimmer and knowing the sea well as a born and bred Beach oke, he left his clothes with someone, dropped into the sea and started swimming.’
- 1.1 Used to refer to or address a boy or, patronizingly, a man.‘‘Where's the studio?’ I asked the reception okie’man, my friendView synonyms
Shortened form of okie, anglicized form of Afrikaans outjie ‘little chap’.
exclamation, adverb, noun, verb, & adjectiveUS
- another term for OK
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.