One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of land or seabed underlain by strata yielding mineral oil, especially in amounts that justify commercial exploitation.
- ‘Big new oilfields such as the Atlantic to the west of Shetland, or technically difficult fields would continue to attract the multinationals.’
- ‘By 1926 seismic survey methods had discovered an oilfield for the first time in the southern USA.’
- ‘Tens of thousands of people have been killed and displaced from areas around the oilfields, it said.’
- ‘A preliminary geological survey in February 1919 showed that the oilfield could be exploited only by a company ‘rich enough to face indifferent success or failure’.’
- ‘But government attacks forced many more thousands out as land was cleared of people to make way for oilfields.’
- ‘The company's main oilfields are located in the Caspian Sea area in the former Soviet republic of Turkmenistan.’
- ‘A decision on the contract to store oil from the Atlantic Frontier oilfields has been delayed until later this month.’
- ‘Sudan's minister of energy and mining announced last week the discovery of an oilfield in Darfur with abundant deposits.’
- ‘American engineers design and oversee the oilfields.’
- ‘In 1968 oil was discovered in northern Alaska, and exploration for further Arctic oilfields has continued.’
- ‘Rich diamond mines and oilfields in the country mean that a wide range of corporations and countries have an interest in the outcome of the war.’
- ‘She has been developing oilfields in Sudan and now Sudan supplies 5% of her oil consumption.’
- ‘Viable oilfields were discovered in the North Sea off Scotland in 1971 and by November 1975 the Forties field was on stream.’
- ‘It says independent operators moving into the North Sea to work on mature oilfields are often offering better promotion and salary prospects than their larger rivals.’
- ‘The £2bn pipeline will connect offshore oilfields in the Caspian with a tanker terminal at the Turkish port of Ceyhan.’
- ‘There were more serious threats looming, however, than a strike in the oilfields.’
- ‘There has been no systematic attempt to sabotage or destroy the oilfields, either in the south or the north.’
- ‘Many contain economic deposits of coal and one, the Fang Basin in the north of the region, is the site of a producing oilfield.’
- ‘The two countries are cooperating to finally resolve a longstanding dispute hampering the full exploitation of a rich oilfield.’
- ‘He also encouraged the exploration of the Amazonian rainforest, which led to the subsequent exploitation of significant oilfields.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.