Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A thing that holds or supplies oil, in particular.
- 1.1An oil tanker.
- ‘A ‘T-AO’ designation indicates that the ship is an underway replenishment oiler.’
- ‘Nato also has dispatched seven frigates, a destroyer, and an auxiliary oiler to the Mediterranean to take the place of American naval assets there.’
- ‘One reason for sending the USS Cole to a Yemen port to refuel was because there were not enough fleet oilers to refuel the Cole at sea.’
- ‘The Europeans are also in need of seagoing oilers and fleet replenishment vessels.’
- ‘While in these patrol areas, the subs should have systematically hunted down and destroyed US tankers and Navy oilers.’
- ‘The loss of the fleet oiler USS Pecos to Japanese action exacerbated the situation further.’
- ‘Other ships serve as fleet ocean tugboats, fast combat support ships, oilers, ammunition ships, and combat stores ships.’
- ‘The 180-metre long oilers, officially classified as Large Fleet Tankers, are fitted with two Vulcan Phalanx close-in weapon systems.’
- ‘The surviving engineer from the wreck of the fleet oiler heads for his old ship with the dive guide.’
- ‘And the USS Arctic, which is an oiler and a resupply ship, is heading down to be on station.’
- ‘Future tests are planned for the Merlin with RFA vessels, in particular auxiliary oilers and auxiliary oil and replenishment ships.’
- ‘Commercial oilers may have a tank which dispenses the insecticide like a lantern wick.’
- ‘The rest pressed on and were over the Mobile Fleet by 6: 30 P.M. In growing darkness, the Americans attacked, damaging several vessels and sinking three, the carrier Hiyo and two oilers.’
- ‘The time span will also allow contractors seeking to transform the ship into a Royal Australian Navy oiler to go onboard and assess what needs to be done and what equipment will be required.’
- ‘On 7 December, the Pacific Fleet had two oilers in Pearl Harbor and three at sea and six others in ports on the west coast; only four of these were capable of at-sea refueling.’
- ‘The Navy also suffered from a severe shortage of oilers, which limited the operations radius of the fleet.’
- ‘With the Pacific Fleet's oilers supplying fuel to ships in the Hawaiian area, it meant new supplies were not being brought in from the mainland.’
- ‘She was also, as a fleet oiler, at the vanguard of the fleet that launched the assault on Pearl Harbour.’
- ‘With similar dimensions, it will also match Westralia's capabilities once converted from an oiler to underway replenishment ship.’
- ‘The oiler towed the Thonburi back to Bangkok where she entered dock for repairs.’
- 1.2An oilcan.
- 1.3North American informal An oil well.
- 1.1An oil tanker.
2North American informal Oilskin garments.‘Roy, in his oilers, did not get wet’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.