Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ship designed to carry oil in bulk.
- ‘An oil tanker can carry a load that is far, far more explosive than any civil aircraft.’
- ‘The accident happened when an oil tanker ran aground.’
- ‘Wrecks available include the Rangoon, a 19th century sailing ship, and the Conch, an early oil tanker.’
- ‘It's like trying to sail an oil tanker down a narrow river.’
- ‘Now, besides repairing ships, the company builds one type: a refined petroleum product carrier, which is a smaller oil tanker.’
- ‘An oil tanker was discharging petrol from Scapa Pier to the underground storage tanks at the depot when the leak occurred.’
- ‘In July it reported three attempted boardings in less than a week, with pirates firing automatic weapons at two gas tankers and an oil tanker.’
- ‘It was when he was in his early twenties and he was running his father's shipping company that an ageing oil tanker exploded and five people died.’
- ‘However, the captain and other witnesses on board the Limburg reported seeing a small boat strike the oil tanker just before it exploded.’
- ‘The firm currently operates four vessels - three bulk carriers and an oil tanker - and has a fifth on order at Guangzhou Shipyard International.’
- ‘The short circuit caused a fire that in turn ignited the oil tanker and the chemicals at 12: 10 p.m. Thursday, he added.’
- ‘A series of fuel pipes ran up and down the ship's deck, suggesting that the vessel had been an oil tanker.’
- ‘Nicholls was competing in France in 2002 when the slick from the oil tanker Prestige hit the beach.’
- ‘The Fire Service was on the scene within minutes of the simulated crash at 10 am, sealing the leak on the oil tanker and making it safe for the ambulance crew to enter.’
- ‘Gunmen attacked an oil tanker carrying fuel to the army and killed its driver, police said.’
- ‘The seaworthiness of a visiting oil tanker was inspected by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency in Flotta on Tuesday.’
- ‘The harbor is full of yachts that make an oil tanker look small.’
- ‘In the early 1970s, a sub he was on collided with an oil tanker off the west coast of Scotland.’
- ‘A Hercules aircraft homed in on the boat's locator beacon and a merchant oil tanker eventually launched a lifeboat and was rowing the man to safety, said Jessup.’
- ‘In the past three weeks, pirates have also attacked another tug and an oil tanker in the same region.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.