One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An escape of oil into the sea or other body of water.‘this was the site of a disastrous offshore oil spill’
- ‘And an oil spill or industrial disaster can wipe out big chunks of the environment.’
- ‘When you see coverage of oil spills, what has the greatest impact on you - the arial shot of the spill or the up close shot of the cute seal or duck suffocating in the petroleum?’
- ‘Plot-wise, a kindly, geeky professor is trying to save the world from oil spills.’
- ‘The photographs document the struggle last year along the northern Spanish coast against one of the worst oil spills in history.’
- ‘A post-Katrina release of oil has been compared to the much smaller 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska.’
- ‘He discusses the 10,000-tonne oil spill on Karachi's Clifton beach.’
- ‘His essay cites the ocean's resilience to ecological damage from oil spills and sunken shipping.’
- ‘The dark liquids have similarly ominous implications, as if to underscore the dangers of offshore oil drilling and the devastation wrought by oil spills.’
- ‘An oil spill near the pipeline's marine terminal would present a major threat to Cameroon's coastal economy.’
- ‘Environmentalists warn accidental oil spills could endanger rare marine species inhabiting surrounding and downstream ecosystems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.