One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fine-grained sedimentary rock from which oil can be extracted.
- ‘I happen to be a supporter of exploiting the oil that's in Alaska and oil shale that we can exploit in Canada and in the States.’
- ‘Gibling interpreted the assemblage of mudstone, coal and oil shale in the Cenozoic basins of Thailand as the product of deposition in environments where lake levels fluctuated.’
- ‘In addition, there are large deposits of oil shale in the United States and several other countries.’
- ‘It was also postulated that the slow settling of organic material from the surface produced the bituminous carbonate layers known as oil shale.’
- ‘If prices go high enough, alternative forms of energy exploration and things like oil shale can become viable.’
- ‘From oil shale to ethanol to solar energy, the government doled out hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies and tax credits only to see market realities play out in a destructive way.’
- ‘Beneath the main White Stone Band there is an interval of mudstone and bituminous mudstone with a further thicker (10 cm, lower oil shale) oil shale.’
- ‘Can we replace rapidly depleting oil reserves with oil shale?’
- ‘Carbonaceous shale, including oil shale, occurs in beds of clayey to silty mudrock from 0.3 to 3 m thick.’
- ‘The term ‘fossil fuels’ is commonly used for the materials tar sands, oil, gas condensates, natural gas, coal, and oil shale and their products.’
- ‘If Peak Oil comes early we can keep vehicles moving using liquid fuels made from coal and oil shale.’
- ‘The biggest problem with mining oil shale comes as a result of heating oil shale rock.’
- ‘Retorting is the main procedure used for recovering oil from oil shale, a plentiful but difficult-to-process and environmentally-hazardous substance.’
- ‘He worked as a consultant for Chevron Corporation from 1981 to 2000 in the area of oil shale.’
- ‘Shell Oil is working on a process that would heat the oil shale in place, which could have less effect on the environment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.