One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An industrial installation where crude oil is refined to produce fuels including petrol, paraffin, and diesel oil.‘it is the site of one of the largest oil refineries in Europe’
- ‘They are not only creating a natural habitat for migrating birds, but also moving the water away from the oil refinery, averting a potential ecological disaster.’
- ‘They own collieries in South Wales and oil refineries world-wide.’
- ‘He works by day in the oil refinery where his friend is foreman.’
- ‘It's an industrial town near the Gulf of Mexico that was dominated by an oil refinery.’
- ‘They live in a shack beside an oil refinery.’
- ‘They're trying to make a life for themselves on the fringes of a smoke-spewing oil refinery on the outskirts of Sydney.’
- ‘The smell of the oil refinery and the occasional bit of ash raining from the sky affect my quality of life.’
- ‘One moody image shows a twilit landscape with what look like oil refineries dark against the sky.’
- ‘Congress passed the legislation clamping down on oil refinery emissions.’
- ‘A group of U.K. farmers initiated blockades of oil refineries, fuel depots, and major motorways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.