Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An apparatus for pressing oil from seeds, fruits, etc.
- ‘Their products have included the Yenga oil press, maize seed applicator, ice-making machine, and several rural transportation devices (bicycle drawn trailers).’
- ‘The fruits are pressed in communal oil presses and, more often than not, transported by horse-drawn cart.’
- ‘The oil presses in Pompeii were worked by the screw principle, for example.’
- ‘The defter indicates that the Turkish property in the uplands consisted mainly of olive trees, fruit trees, vineyards, houses, and oil presses.’
- ‘Their basic economic function as centres of agricultural production is well illustrated by the wine and oil presses that are an important feature here.’
- ‘Occupied by the Romans in around 40BC, it developed into a thriving city of 20 000, with a flourishing trade in oil (one house in four had an oil press), corn and wild animals such as lions, panthers and elephants.’
- ‘Most of the artifacts are of pioneering in nature, such as handmade flour mill, oil presses, a 105-year-old thresher, loom, etc.’
- ‘Grants of property could include land, trees, vineyards, gardens, orchards, houses, oil presses, and mills.’
- ‘Later, before the use of steam power, wind was used to power grain mills, oil presses, irrigation and drainage pumps in areas such as Holland, where climate or geography prevented the use of water power.’
- ‘Housed in ancient solid stone buildings, each is decorated with ploughs, harnesses, ceramic pots, long wooden baking trays and olive oil presses that evoke bygone rural life.’
- ‘This small artisanal oil press on the side of the road to Khouribga in central Morocco is one of about 16,000 similar installations throughout the country.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.