One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A structure designed to stand on the seabed to provide a stable base above water for the drilling and regulation of oil wells.
- ‘The world's biggest oil platform, known as P - 36, sinks off the coast of Brazil after a series of gas explosions rendered it inoperable.’
- ‘A sea police unit from West Java Police has arrested four people suspected to have stolen equipment from an offshore oil platform in north Java coastal waters.’
- ‘The oil, approximately 560 gallons, was discovered by the crew of a nearby oil platform who were returning to the platform after being evacuated for Tropical Storm Arlene.’
- ‘The world's largest offshore oil platform is still on an unsteady angle in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘Whilst at the Natural Environmental Research Centre, his previous job, he advocated the deep-sea dumping of Shell's Brent Spar oil platform.’
- ‘In the 1970s, some prickly US libertarians set up a republic on an oil platform near Tonga.’
- ‘Moving south to Fort Lauderdale, a classic site is the Tennaco Towers, an oil platform that was sunk in three sections.’
- ‘She said her job there, serving food to US troops, was more promising than her previous occupation, cooking on an offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘The oil platform weighed 31.4 tons and had a height of 40 stories.’
- ‘I have responsibility for the safety and technical integrity of an oil platform.’
- ‘It pulled a similar stunt by boarding this redundant oil platform en route round Scotland to be sunk in deeper water in the north Atlantic.’
- ‘An interim report into a gas leak on a North Sea oil platform which killed two workers was condemned by a union yesterday for apparently blaming the men for the tragedy.’
- ‘More than 100 workers were evacuated from a North Sea oil platform last night because of a gas leak.’
- ‘We got hit and then made our way swimming under water to the oil platform.’
- ‘The Iraqi oil platform in the north is called the Khawr Al Amaya Oil Terminal while the one in the south is called the Al Basrah Oil Terminal.’
- ‘Ferguson knows that even if he decides to become a hermit on some oil platform in the North Sea for the rest of his life, his place in footballing history is secure.’
- ‘But if what you can see of an oil platform is impressive, what's below the surface is equally dramatic.’
- ‘The money was raised by workers on the Piper oil platform in the North Sea to buy presents for needy children.’
- ‘Britain's deadliest oil-related disaster was the 1988 explosion and fire on the North Sea oil platform Piper Alpha, which killed 167 workers.’
- ‘Fabricating an oil platform takes energy, but for this you'd get a lot of energy out of the ground.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.