Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A structure designed to stand on the seabed to provide a stable base above water for the drilling and regulation of oil wells.
- ‘The Iraqi oil platform in the north is called the Khawr Al Amaya Oil Terminal while the one in the south is called the Al Basrah Oil Terminal.’
- ‘We got hit and then made our way swimming under water to the oil platform.’
- ‘In the 1970s, some prickly US libertarians set up a republic on an oil platform near Tonga.’
- ‘Whilst at the Natural Environmental Research Centre, his previous job, he advocated the deep-sea dumping of Shell's Brent Spar oil platform.’
- ‘The money was raised by workers on the Piper oil platform in the North Sea to buy presents for needy children.’
- ‘The world's largest offshore oil platform is still on an unsteady angle in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘The oil platform weighed 31.4 tons and had a height of 40 stories.’
- ‘Moving south to Fort Lauderdale, a classic site is the Tennaco Towers, an oil platform that was sunk in three sections.’
- ‘Britain's deadliest oil-related disaster was the 1988 explosion and fire on the North Sea oil platform Piper Alpha, which killed 167 workers.’
- ‘The world's biggest oil platform, known as P - 36, sinks off the coast of Brazil after a series of gas explosions rendered it inoperable.’
- ‘More than 100 workers were evacuated from a North Sea oil platform last night because of a gas leak.’
- ‘A sea police unit from West Java Police has arrested four people suspected to have stolen equipment from an offshore oil platform in north Java coastal waters.’
- ‘I have responsibility for the safety and technical integrity of an oil platform.’
- ‘The oil, approximately 560 gallons, was discovered by the crew of a nearby oil platform who were returning to the platform after being evacuated for Tropical Storm Arlene.’
- ‘Fabricating an oil platform takes energy, but for this you'd get a lot of energy out of the ground.’
- ‘But if what you can see of an oil platform is impressive, what's below the surface is equally dramatic.’
- ‘She said her job there, serving food to US troops, was more promising than her previous occupation, cooking on an offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘It pulled a similar stunt by boarding this redundant oil platform en route round Scotland to be sunk in deeper water in the north Atlantic.’
- ‘An interim report into a gas leak on a North Sea oil platform which killed two workers was condemned by a union yesterday for apparently blaming the men for the tragedy.’
- ‘Ferguson knows that even if he decides to become a hermit on some oil platform in the North Sea for the rest of his life, his place in footballing history is secure.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.