One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A structure designed to stand on the seabed to provide a stable base above water for the drilling and regulation of oil wells.
- ‘The oil, approximately 560 gallons, was discovered by the crew of a nearby oil platform who were returning to the platform after being evacuated for Tropical Storm Arlene.’
- ‘She said her job there, serving food to US troops, was more promising than her previous occupation, cooking on an offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘Fabricating an oil platform takes energy, but for this you'd get a lot of energy out of the ground.’
- ‘We got hit and then made our way swimming under water to the oil platform.’
- ‘But if what you can see of an oil platform is impressive, what's below the surface is equally dramatic.’
- ‘More than 100 workers were evacuated from a North Sea oil platform last night because of a gas leak.’
- ‘I have responsibility for the safety and technical integrity of an oil platform.’
- ‘An interim report into a gas leak on a North Sea oil platform which killed two workers was condemned by a union yesterday for apparently blaming the men for the tragedy.’
- ‘The Iraqi oil platform in the north is called the Khawr Al Amaya Oil Terminal while the one in the south is called the Al Basrah Oil Terminal.’
- ‘A sea police unit from West Java Police has arrested four people suspected to have stolen equipment from an offshore oil platform in north Java coastal waters.’
- ‘The oil platform weighed 31.4 tons and had a height of 40 stories.’
- ‘The money was raised by workers on the Piper oil platform in the North Sea to buy presents for needy children.’
- ‘Britain's deadliest oil-related disaster was the 1988 explosion and fire on the North Sea oil platform Piper Alpha, which killed 167 workers.’
- ‘The world's biggest oil platform, known as P - 36, sinks off the coast of Brazil after a series of gas explosions rendered it inoperable.’
- ‘Ferguson knows that even if he decides to become a hermit on some oil platform in the North Sea for the rest of his life, his place in footballing history is secure.’
- ‘Whilst at the Natural Environmental Research Centre, his previous job, he advocated the deep-sea dumping of Shell's Brent Spar oil platform.’
- ‘It pulled a similar stunt by boarding this redundant oil platform en route round Scotland to be sunk in deeper water in the north Atlantic.’
- ‘The world's largest offshore oil platform is still on an unsteady angle in the Gulf of Mexico.’
- ‘In the 1970s, some prickly US libertarians set up a republic on an oil platform near Tonga.’
- ‘Moving south to Fort Lauderdale, a classic site is the Tennaco Towers, an oil platform that was sunk in three sections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.