One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A gland which secretes oil.
- ‘The actual culprit isn't their fur, but the proteins emitted by the oil glands.’
- ‘Flowers are yellow, pink or white, protogynous, herkogamous and sometimes lack oil glands.’
- ‘Rosemary and thyme leaves contain oil glands which further protect them from heat and intensify their aromas when crushed.’
- ‘A few quick words on the ferret's interesting odour… all members of the weasel family have oil glands that give off a musky smell.’
- ‘And if you look closely you can identify the plant but the tiny oil glands visible in the larger leaves when you hold them up to the light.’
- 1.1Ornithology another term for preen gland
- ‘To do this the bird twists its neck around 180° and dips its beak into a tiny oil gland right down at the back of its spine.’
- ‘Rheas lack oil glands, and their feathers lack hooks, making them unusually soft.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.