One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An internal combustion engine which uses oil as fuel, especially a diesel engine.
- ‘Using a second-hand oil engine and a small dynamo, he lit up the family home with low-power bulbs.’
- ‘Nine tractors from a range of eras, several old-fashioned ploughs and an open crank oil engine are just a few of the items up for grabs.’
- ‘There will be many other attractions at Rosdillig on Sunday such as a display of vintage tractors, cars, motor bikes and oil engines.’
- ‘There was a large display of steam threshing, tractors, cars, machinery and oil engines.’
- ‘He transformed the oil engine from something fit only for a bus, truck or ship, into the modern, refined, computer-controlled marvel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.