One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A device, especially a furnace, in which oil is vaporized and burned to produce heat.
- ‘I was standing in my parents' basement, near the oil burner, which looked more like an old time furnace.’
- ‘The difference between mother's waste oil burner and today's commercial models is vast.’
- ‘It's also not unusual for the soot and fly ash from a wood-fired combination unit to coat the head of the oil burner, requiring frequent cleaning of the oil-burner head.’
- ‘A properly sized oil burner should run 45 to 50 minutes per hour when the temperature outside is the lowest it gets in your area.’
- ‘I think the oil burner is making a funny noise and I get up and whack the carbon monoxide detector to make sure it's working.’
2A vehicle that burns oil as fuel.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.