One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A magnate in the oil industry.
- ‘In the name of spurring an economic recovery, we could lose the wildlife preserve to the oil barons.’
- ‘In 1921, the Oklahoma oil barons and businessmen needing more land for warehouses and factories were eyeing Greenwood's downtown location - and they didn't want to share it.’
- ‘I'm also hilarious and the son of an oil baron, so none of my supermodel girlfriends have ever broken up with me.’
- ‘When he was younger and dreamed about what he would do if he wasn't The Prince, the notion of oil baron never came to mind.’
- ‘We have an oil baron for a president, and regular gas is $2.60 a gallon.’
- ‘The billionaire oil baron began to fund opposition parties and publicly hinted that he wanted to be president himself.’
- ‘During his re-election campaign, he will not pull the plug on millions from the oil barons.’
- ‘With the oil baron already behind bars and facing serious charges, a government takeover of his company may not be necessary.’
- ‘They evoke a retro world of confident white CEOs in suits, oil barons, and the military industrial complex.’
- ‘Many settled near Tulsa to take advantage of the oil boom, serving the oil barons as hired help - drivers, gardeners and maids.’
- ‘The Earth Lodge, with private butlers, private plunge pools, a health spa and a 6,000-bottle wine cellar, is the natural habitat of magnates, oil barons and celebrities.’
- ‘In fact, many would-be local oil barons left the area or returned to their farms.’
- ‘Texas oil barons, industrial tycoons and Arab sheiks all made their fortunes on the back of the world's power resources.’
- ‘Is it just me, or is the ideal of a national cinema bankrolled by oil barons somewhat dubious?’
- ‘Firstly it would free us from the oil barons who are holding us to ransom.’
- ‘His clout in the northeast makes him Scotland's top oil baron, but he thinks globally, employing more than 10,000 people in 30 countries.’
- ‘We are all fed up with being continuously fleeced by both the Government and the oil barons.’
- ‘Even in the USA, heavily influenced as it is by the oil barons, there are voices now speaking out about the damage our way of life is causing.’
- ‘Europe's oil barons are earning bigger salaries than their US counterparts for the first time in generations, thanks to big pay rises and the exchange rate.’
- ‘He plays Jett Rink, the rebellious ranch-hand who improbably strikes oil on his patch of land, much to the fury of the oil baron.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.