One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A manoeuvre in which players in the defending team push upfield in order to put one or more opposing players into an offside position.
- ‘Coventry made a complete hash of an attempted offside trap to give Wiltord his chance in the 23rd minute.’
- ‘They even told him where to stand in the offside trap.’
- ‘He was also repeatedly caught out by a well-policed offside trap.’
- ‘He was renowned for building his team on the meanest of rearguards, perfecting the offside trap along the way.’
- ‘He either doesn't understand the offside trap or is just lazy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.