Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘As for the 12.5% service charge, that's what you expect in London, go to your local offie if you want cheap booze!’
- ‘Are you tired of buying wine at your local offie or supermarket?’
- ‘Apparently the code is printed inside each pack, so there's no point hurrying down to your local offy / bottleshop with a pen and paper.’
- ‘Only the Co-op and the offy were open this time of night.’
- ‘When I wake up, I go back to the offy, get another cargo of drink.’
- ‘His kits are for brewing gin to 37° proof, or 21 per cent alcohol, about half the strength of the stuff on sale at the offie.’
- ‘Most of the pubs seemed to be open, but there was no offie to be found.’
- ‘Then the sun's up, so you head to Brockwell Park, via the open-all-hours offy, to lie under a tree and make the most of the morning sunshine.’
- ‘In the meantime, they are happy to let customers bring their own bottles - which scores points with the wallet-watchers - but rather than nip to the offy, we settled for coke.’
- ‘Generous host to a fault, Julie even sends Zoe and Nadia to the offie when I mention I'd like red wine which isn't on offer.’
- ‘I get the sense that both he and Shaun would secretly be happier if they were less famous so they could go burgling places and nicking car stereos to buy booze down the offie with.’
- ‘Can people then go and buy it down the local offie?’
- ‘Eventually it was chucking out time and Bob suggested we stop off at the offy to stock up for a night cap or five.’
- ‘We took slight refuge just behind the stage and bought our beers from the offy (£1-50 rather than £3 if you please).’
- ‘He's bee acting strange for a couple of weeks now, like going to the offy, 5mins away, and returning an hour later.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.