Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The formal and typically verbose style of writing considered to be characteristic of official documents, especially when it is difficult to understand.
- ‘In rather guarded officialese, it points to a shaky financial situation with the potential for huge financial losses.’
- ‘I'm thinking, for example, of so-called legalese and officialese - sentences like ‘We are in receipt of your communication of 12 inst. and wish to convey our most sincere gratitude for same.’’
- ‘The vulgar language was a way of signalling to the voters that he was one of them, not speaking in political officialese or respecting the conventions of polite society.’
- ‘In 1979, taking a different tack, Plain English Campaign publicly destroyed government forms as the opening move in a crusade against officialese and obfuscation.’
- ‘That is officialese for saying that they are making the mandatory bow to non-commercial programming, but note that it is only open to the same commercial broadcasters.’
- ‘His letter is expressed in his own language, and not in officialese, but to my mind it is clearly a formal request to carry out the works referred to.’
- ‘The simple lending and savings schemes described as ‘micro-financing’ or ‘micro-credit’ in officialese, is seen as the viable solution to livelihood where poverty is the overriding factor.’
- ‘Imagine if we were able as a church to leave aside all the bureaucratic officialese, all the empty titles, and all the massaging of personal egos.’
- ‘They have been ‘settled,’ as colonial officialese put it, by a set of State policies that might be better described as disciplined and tamed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.